Use our 5-Step guide to delivering effective health & safety training.
Staying on top of health & safety training needs, for yourself and your team, keeps everyone safe and ensures you meet your legal obligations. A regular health and safety training audit is best practice. By auditing health and safety training needs, you can identify and prioritise team member needs and select the most effective training methods. Once training has been provided the outcomes can be evaluated. Conducted regularly, a health and safety training audit can help identify new risks, ensure new employees receive timely training and close any training gaps among existing team members.
Training Obligations & Benefits
The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 requires businesses to provide ‘whatever information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health and safety at work of your employees.’ The law is supported by additional regulations, including Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, The Safety Representatives and Safety Committees Regulations 1977 and Health and Safety (Consultation with Employees) Regulations 1996, which cover the critical intervention timings for training, as well as ways in which health and safety should be managed within organisations.
Providing up-to-date, relevant training and information on health and safety for all employees has a number of benefits, especially for new employees, those facing different risks due to a change in role, and team members in need of refresher training:
- employees work safely and avoid risks to their health and that of others;
- embeds a strong culture of health and safety;
- role models safe working behaviours;
- meets legal obligations to protect the health and safety of employees, customers, and other relevant persons on your premises.
Health & Safety Training – 5-Step Plan
Here’s our 5-Step Plan to ensuring your team know everything they need to know to keep themselves and others safe.
- Audit Training Needs
- Audit the training and information needs of all team members and managers versus training and information provided.
- Consider the recency of any training already provided to employees, as well as any changes in their responsibilities.
- Identify & Prioritise Training Needs
- Identify and prioritise broader team training needs, as well as specific needs based on employee responsibilities and risk factors.
- Consult employees to get their input during this process.
- Select Training Methods
- Methods should be selected based on appropriateness to meet the desired training outcomes. As with any training, information-giving, coaching, instructing, face-to-face classroom teaching, or online learning may be appropriate.
- Execute Training
- Health and safety group training may not suit all team members. Consider the individual learning needs of employees, particularly those who may require additional language or technical support to take part.
- Many businesses manage trainings in-house, however specialist training providers and online learning packages can support internal capabilities, where required.
- Evaluate Training Outcomes
- Timely feedback should be requested, to ensure the learning outcomes are met by the information, instruction or training.
- Review health and safety training outcomes on an on-going basis, providing refresher training where necessary.
Follow this 5-Step Plan to ensure you approach the fourth quarter knowing your teams are knowledgeable, and well prepared for the health and safety risks they encounter in their positions.
How can we help?
Let us support you during this busy period. Sure Safety Consultancy provide competent assistance, not only to facilitate auditing and training-need identification, but also to plan and execute accredited training programmes. As an IOSH Accredited Training Partner, we deliver Managing Safely and Working Safely training programmes. In addition, we offer over 100 ROSPA approved online courses, including Fire Safety, Manual Handling and Slips, Trips and Falls, all of which are critical health and safety challenges for most businesses.
Contact us if you are interested in hearing more about training audits, Sure Safety online training course packages, or you’d like to talk to us about blended learning or health and safety group training options. Get in touch by email or call us on 029 2086 8802.